Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Better than Expected

Everyone had a good time camping. The kids played outside, held bunnies, and had their fingers bit by chickens. Maybe I should explain-last weekend was Heritage weekend at Ponca State Park. There were some special activities going on, including a mini-petting zoo for the kiddos, yummy cobbler & homemade icecream, and a wagon ride pulled by horses. 
The first night I didn't sleep much...at all. Joel insists that my parents deprived me by not taking me camping as a kid. I told him that I don't feel like I was deprived! I really enjoyed staying in hotels while we vacationed. :) That first night, I heard the crickets chirping LOUDLY & was freezing cold since it got down in the 40s Friday night there...But, Saturday night, I slept! Outside. In a tent. I feel very accomplished. :) I even told Joel that a few more times, and I maybe wouldn't mind camping-and maybe would eventually ENJOY it! Baby steps. There was 16 of us camping...4 tents set up at our campsite, and my sister & her family slept in their camper (now THAT is camping!) There is just something about being away from the internet and not having a phone signal...that allows you to really relax and enjoy your surroundings. I definitely want to do it again! 





2 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh! I love to camp and my husband does not - he never went as a kid. So in 6 years we have never been. Looks like you had fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so much fun! Q and I LOVE to camp. I LOVE it. Maybe we will have to go camping again - member when we went to Joel's and canoed? Yah, neither one of us was married OR had kids. We were as awesome then as now! ;) I do believe you will learn to LOVE camping and won't be able to resist the call of the wild.

    ReplyDelete